In October 1957, delegates from over fifty countries gathered at Vienna’s grand concert hall to attend the first General Conference of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). The participation of delegations from North and South America, the Soviet Union, Africa, Asia, Australia, and the Middle East made the organization’s inception a truly global undertaking. Today, six decades later, the IAEA continues to lie at the heart of the global nuclear nonproliferation regime. It is one of the key international organizations concerned with nuclear issues and has currently 161 member states. It is also Austria’s oldest and largest international organization.
In 2011, the University of Vienna’s Department of Contemporary History launched a grounded archival research project on the history of the IAEA. The project also aims to establish an international research dialog among scholars in the field.
The first phase of the research project was funded by
Jubiläumsfonds der Oesterreichischen Nationalbank
Elisabeth Röhrlich's work was also supported by
City of Vienna Research Grant
The Botstiber Institute for Austrian-American Studies (travel grant)
We cooperate with the Nuclear Proliferation International History Project (NPIHP) at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
Elisabeth Röhrlich was invited to speak at the conference "Reassessing the global nuclear order: past, present, and future" in Melbourne, 7-10th January 2015.